To ensure the production and packaging of company products, according to the production plan and within company’s quality and safety standards.
- Agrees and implements production plan with production manager. Support, guide and direct within the production plan. (e.g. if a production line breaks down, prioritise production requirements and re-allocates labour accordingly).
- Analyses shift results and implements any necessary changes to increase production.
- Ensures that quality standards are implemented and adhered to and diagnoses plant problems (fault finding) and liaises with Engineering
- Foreman for plant repairs and interprets fault finding to optimise production. Ensure that shift repairs and maintenance is carried out by the
- Team Leaders and operators to reduce the impact of downtime
- Conduct daily production meetings with the different production disciplines to analyse previous shift results and implements any necessary changes to meet demand.
- Responsible for ensuring sufficient staff and adequate raw materials.
- Identifies causes and costs of waste, contamination and inefficiencies and takes appropriate action to reduce these amounts. Monitor and reduce wastes such as product, raw materials, packaging, steam, air, water and electricity.
- Application of mass balance for Raw material usage control. Understanding of SAP system to conduct Stock take activities and daily SAP compliance activities.
- Monitors and ensures adherence to Company standards and SOP’s. Ensures that Plant is maintained in a high level of engineering, cleaning and Safety standard.
- Implements total productive maintenance to improve PQCDSMI (Production, Quality, Cost, Delivery, Safety, Morale, and Innovation) to deliver against set Factory targets
- Implement recommendations from SHE, Quality or engineering. Ensures responsible management of SHE, Quality and Engineering using the SHE, Quality and Engineering Teams as Subject Matter Experts.
- Operational Systems: Ensure that all employees adhere to the operational systems standards (SAP, Time keeper, ABC quality, ESS, Clock cards etc) and manages the business processes defined within these operational systems.
- Identifies reasons for staff non-conformance (e.g. training required, managing poor performance, refusal to obey lawful instruction, absenteeism) and takes appropriate action.
- Monitors processes and changes and ensures that corrective action has been taken in the event of a non-conformance
- Co-ordinates the implementation of WCM (World Class Manufacturing)principles in the factory
Safety: As a section 16.2 appointee is required to ensure that the OHS act and company SHE regulations and standards are implemented and adhered to within the sphere of his/her responsibilities.
- Takes corrective action in the case of non-compliance as per the Section 16.2 requirements
- Prepares for quarterly and annual Audits
- Ensures adequate level compliance with the said policies, procedures and standards to meet all certification requirements at any given time.
- Ensures Business and Factory strategy for Safety is executed at a tactical level
Cost Management: Drives a cost-conscious culture
- Monitors and ensures MUC losses and conversion cost losses are eliminated against budgets.
- Ensures budget constraints are complied with and variances are actioned
- Identifies sources of waste and takes action to minimise waste.
- Monitors Rand per Ton costs and shares info with teams
- Monitor and Control sundry costs such as PPE, telephone, tearoom etc.
People Development: Identify training gaps for subordinates based on losses/ business need and execute plan together with HR/Training to close them
- Develop Personal Development Plans for subordinates and monitor progress
Industrial Relations: Initiates disciplinary action/enquiries and recommends dismissals.
- Resolve conflicts within immediate team and facilitates conflict resolution within subordinate teams
- Builds and maintains levels of trust with the Union Leadership and Shop Floor to facilitate win/win situations
- Eliminates industrial action
Training and development: Performance management and Human Resources coordination
- Projects Management and re-engineering project management. Manage ad hoc projects related to continuous improvements as detailed in PDP targets
- Completed Minimum N.D in Engineering or Supply Chain
- Must have both Making and Packaging experience
- Must have optimisation experience
- Strong leadership and management experience of a large team who work shifts
- Sound strategic and operational Production management experience
- Budget and cost reduction experience
- Expert project management experience
- Compilation of training manuals, coordinate and facilitate training
- Strong Industrial Relations experience, this must be in a unionized environment right through to CCMA
- Support, guide and drive OHS and SHE regulations and standards and ensure compliance
- Manage multiple stakeholders and numerous re-engineering projects
- Knowledge and understanding of the following will be an advantage:
- WCM (World Class Manufacturing)
- High precision packaging robots
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Durban
Application Deadline: N/A