Website Sacramento Municipal Utility District
Introduction: SMUD’s Strategic Services & Non-IT PMO group is currently looking for qualified candidates to fill a Project Manager II opportunity.
Purpose: Provides project management and professional skills and services in assigned area including to plan, organize, manage, coordinate, and execute activities related to assigned projects to ensure adequate, reliable, efficient, and cost effective systems and projects for SMUD.
Nature and Scope: Serves as an advanced journey level resource in a relevant professional discipline; works independently on projects of moderate complexity; exercises independent judgment and discretion; may serve in a Lead role and assist in planning, coordinating, prioritizing, monitoring and evaluating the work results in assigned area and in selecting, training, motivating, evaluating and developing lower-level personnel.
This role typically oversees or leads multiple small projects, or at least one large complex project. May manage a smaller portfolios of projects with budgets of up to $5,000,000.
- Coordinates activities and projects in assigned area; develops necessary project plans, cost estimates, project budgets, work breakdowns and schedules, and project summary descriptions and justifications for department review.
- Coordinates project planning with other staff through meetings and shared written and oral reporting and communications.
- Ensures assigned work activities successfully contribute to the overall completion of assigned projects; plans, coordinates, prioritizes, monitors, guides, reviews, and conducts work activities associated with assigned projects in accordance with established task objectives and schedule as outlined in the project plans.
- Reviews the work of project team members; ensures work methods meet SMUD policies and quality standards; provides project guidance to project team; prepares employee performance evaluations, conducts one-on-one feedback sessions, and identifies and implements development actions to improve employee performance and skill base.
- Negotiate, prepare, and manage participation agreements and other contracts with outside contractors as needed; directs contractor activities in accordance with contract requirements.
- Develop and monitor project resources as necessary to complete project tasks ensuring proper and efficient use of SMUD and other participant resources and smooth coordination with external parties.
- Ensures the availability of timely and accurate project status and related information on assigned projects; collects, verifies, organizes, and maintains data; prepares and provides written summaries, reports, and recommendations for SMUD projects; responds verbally or in writing to inquiries on projects from SMUD management, Board of Directors, regulatory bodies, other utilities, public agencies, and other SMUD departments.
- Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field directly related to area of assignment or equivalent experience. If no degree then at least nine (9) years of experience is required.
- Experience: Five or more (5+) years of progressively responsible relevant project management work experience in one or more of the following technical areas: financial/economic analysis, marketing and customer research, technical and engineering analysis, or planning and business development to include at least one year in a responsible project leadership role.
- Knowledge Of: Project management principles and practices; SMUD operations; SMUD policies, procedures, applicable MOUs, and other special agreements; federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations pertinent to area of assignment; cost control, scheduling, and budgeting principles and practices; performance measurement techniques; proposal preparation techniques; contractual mechanisms and common terms and conditions; accounting fundamentals; management reporting; management control system fundamentals; total quality management philosophies, tools and techniques; practices for reviewing work assignments; safety policies, practices, and procedures; standard operating procedures for modern office equipment including a computer and applicable software; English grammar, punctuation and vocabulary standards.
- Skill To: Manage, plan, and coordinate diverse functions within assigned projects; provide effective reporting to executive management including written and oral communications, presentations, and reports; evaluate and resolve complex technical or management issues within a project; develop funding for projects; maintain adherence to budget and schedule using a matrix organization; negotiate with internal management personnel; identifying multiple solutions and objectively assess advantages and disadvantages of each; provide coaching, motivation, and skills development to assigned staff; set project goals/objectives and define activities that must be performed to accomplish them; utilize a personal computer and/or computer terminal, systems and software relevant to the job; communicate effectively orally and in writing internally/externally; establish and maintain effective working relationships internally/externally.
Company: Sacramento Municipal Utility District
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: West Sacramento, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A