The Community COVID Lay Counsellor’s primary responsibility is to support the COVID Community Team with the identification of clients eligible for COVID vaccinations and of priority clients at risk for more severe COVID-19 disease that may require intensified mobilization efforts to ensure linkage to COVID vaccination and to HIV and TB Care and Treatment.
- The Community COVID Lay Counsellor will work with all stakeholders in the facility and community teams to provide screening, testing and counselling services relating to HIV, TB and COVID-19.
- Screen community-based clients for COVID-19
- Conduct screening for current TB or history of TB amongst clients
- Conduct HIV risk assessment, offer and provide assisted HIVSS for clients in target populations
- Provide HTS for clients with a positive HIVSS screening outcome, inclusive of HIV pre-test, post-test and ongoing counselling
- Test HIV Index contacts that have been traced and have come in for vaccinations
- Provide Standard counselling care and individual risk reduction counselling sessions for COVID-19, HIV, TB and STIs
- Ensure all newly diagnosed HIV positive patients receive same-day treatment initiation through the ‘handshake’ approach and that linkage to care confirmed and documented
- Ensure all DSD is captured on BR reporting tools correctly, consistently and timeously.
- Any other role assigned by your manager within reason of your scope of work.
- Senior Certificate (Grade12) or equivalent
- Accredited certificate in basic counselling and HIV
- Minimum of 2 years relevant work experience and knowledge of public health facilities
- Fluency in Zulu is a must (and Siswati for the Mpumalanga districts is desirable)
- 10 Day Adherence Counselling certificate would serve as an advantage.
- Experience in working with adolescents would be an advantage
- Experience in COVID-19 Counselling would be an advantage
- Personal qualities & Behavioural competencies
- Problem Solving
- Attention to detail
- Ability to connect the dots, make linkages and collaboratively work across the organization to optimize the client experience
- Be solution focused
- Has a customer centric mindset
- Able to connect with clients at different levels
- Maintain confidentiality
- Results orientation
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Ugu
Application Deadline: N/A