Website United Airlines
Technical Writers within Tech Publishing focus on several different areas and use XMetal/Documentum and ArborText/Windchill authoring/publishing tools to create and maintain comprehensive Manuals, Bulletins, Forms and supporting documentation used daily by Mechanics, Technicians, Engineers, Quality Assurance, Airport Operations, etc. These documents must comply with FAA and Company guidelines and established industry safety standards. Writers also create, maintain, and publish Technical Operations Division, Airport Operations Division, Corporate and Safety business manuals. Writers individually and collectively contribute to the safety of Technical Operations, Airport Operations and Corporate by producing accurate, timely and standardized publications.
- Incorporate the proposed language into a draft data set using XMetal and Arbortext authoring tools and standard operating procedures.
- Perform Audits and quality reviews.
- Creating manual revision reports.
- Maintain archives of all manual revisions and supporting / validating documentation in accordance with Company Record Retention Policy.
- Sending email notifications to stations and field users when a new or interim revision for a manual is distributed.
- Publish digital versions of manuals and related documents to the company intranet.
- Create reports in support of data distribution.
- Responsible for ensuring that Technical Manuals and Company manuals are distributed in a timely manner.
- Making revsions and updates to FoxPro databases.
- Coordinating revision releases with other work groups.
- Process and publish Company manuals into eDocs.
- Perform quarterly audits to make sure revision levels are accurate.
- Receive and evaluate raw operational data from various outside sources including Engineering, Maintenance,
- Maintenance Directives, TOMC, individual mechanics, Quality Assurance, Corporate, the FAA and manufacturers (e.g., Boeing, Airbus, etc.).
- Coordinate graphics and form changes with multimedia specialist(s) and communicate priority based on the overall department workload.
Qualification & Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years equivalent work experience in a Technical Library
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- High school diploma
- Functional expertise or knowledge of the following software: Windows OS, MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, Visual
- FoxPro, Windows File Management Skills, Good attention to detail
- Minimum of 2 years experience in publication and / or computerized filing systems and have a working knowledge of manual revision processing
- Familiarity with the ATA specification 2200 regarding format and structure of Aircraft Maintenance Technical Manuals
- Familiarity with United Airlines GMM chapter 12 “Publications” and applicable FARs governing the distribution of Aircraft Maintenance Technical Manuals
Company: United Airlines
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Chicago, IL, US
Application Deadline: N/A