At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our users’ needs and wants. We work with a product team that is data-driven and human-centered in its design principles. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
The Venmo Data Platforms team supports Venmo’s internal and customer-facing production data store engineering and operations. As a senior staff SRE in the Data Platforms team, you will work directly with engineering leadership to prioritize efforts to align services operations with business goals. This individual will be a hands-on contributor that teaches by example and mentors other SRE and product owners how to improve services availability, reliability and scalability by driving best practices.
- Partner with infrastructure and SRE leadership to understand overarching business objectives and help SRE team leads translate those into actionable plans.
- Help the Data Platform and SRE teams define technology and business strategies that deliver iterative enhancements to the tools and processes that improve availability, observability and scalability.
- Recognize, validate and evangelize emerging technologies and architectures that align with business objectives.
- Collaborate with product owners to establish SLOs for the database platforms.
- Lead by doing and meaningfully contributing to engineering teams’ production operations improvements.
- Develop tools and automation to manage infrastructure and application configuration via code.
- Coach/mentor technical leads/engineers on design principles and database engineers best practices.
- Demonstrable ability to learn new technologies and process practices.
- Bachelors and/or Masters in computer science or related field of study
- 10+ years’ experience in software development or a related field
- 10+ years’ experience operating distributed applications 24x7x365
- Deep hands-on experience with designing and implementing infrastructure to support global-scale services
- Hands-on experience with IaaS and PaaS solutions from AWS (or similar cloud provider):
- Infrastructure as code (AWS CLI, AWS CloudFormation, Terraform, Ansible, Puppet)
- Hands-on programming and scripting (Lambda, API GW, Python, Java, Bash)
- Hands-on experience with database operations: AWS DynamoDB, AWS DocumentDB, Cassandra, MySQL, AWS Aurora, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Experience mentoring and developing engineers
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- AWS Solutions Architect preferred
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Chandler, AZ, US
Application Deadline: N/A