Website University of Cape Town
The Division of Allergology and Clinical Immunology at the Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, requires applications for a Research Medical Officer on a Part-time (20-25 hours) Fixed Term Contract based at Walter Sisulu University (Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital, Mthatha, Eastern Cape).
Together with the Division of Dermatology, the Division of Allergology and Immunology at the Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town has established a team to develop a registry and biorepository of African HIV-related Immune-Mediated Adverse Drug Reactions (IM-ADRs),most notably Severe Cutaneous Adverse Drug Reactions (SCAR). The purpose of this team is to define the epidemiology of treatment-limiting SCAR in SA through the expansion of a registry and biorepository of African-HIV related SCAR, to define genetic risk of these patients through clinical research and laboratory investigations and to determine the long-term health outcomes of SCAR patients. These aims are to be approached through the IMARI Study, Immune-mediated adverse drug reactions to HIV and TB treatments in South Africa: predict, prevent and improve long-term outcomes. A partnership with Walter Sisulu University has enabled expansion of the project to additional sites including Nelson Mandela Academic, Frere and Cecilia Makiwane Hospitals, Eastern Cape
The successful incumbent will be working be a part of this team and will be primarily based at Walter Sisulu University (Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital, Mthatha). Travel for collaboration and research activities at East London sites including Frere andf Cecilia Makiwane Hospitals is also required.
- Screening, consent, documentation and collection of samples for study participants
- Data collection/documentation of information from existing records and patient interviews.
- Providing clinical services to patients enrolled in research.
- Interface with site clinical and trial staff and regulatory personnel
- Taking care of the patients during their active treatment and follow up period
- Develop acceptable standards in clinical service delivery of disability and outpatient care
- Provide medical expertise to improve and enhance research nurse-related patient care.
- Ensure fair and ethical treatment of all patients involved in research.
- Taking care of the patients during their active treatment and follow up period.
- Collecting, compiling and analysis of patient’s data
- Reporting and presentation of data to key stakeholders
- Ensure proper maintenance of Patient records, and data management including entry of data into electronic database (RedCap)
- Ensure that the study patient case record forms and clinical documentation meets good clinical practice standards
- Travel between Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital, Mthatha and Frere and Cecilia Makiwane Hospitals, East London
- Support and collaboration with East London study sites including regular site visits
- MBChB Degree
- Registration with Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
- Based in Mthatha or surrounds or willingness to relocate
- Keen interest in Clinical Research (particularly Allergy, Immunology and Dermatology)
- Computer skills (MS Office including Excel)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Valid Good Clinical Practice (GCP) Certification or willingness to attain
- Relevant clinical research experience as sub-investigator or principal investigator (preferable)
- Current knowledge of principles and practices of Clinical Research and Good Clinical Practice Standards
- Leadership experience, program management and organisational skills
- Manuscript writing experience
- Own transport
- Bilingual (English and isiXhosa or Afrikaans)
Company: University of Cape Town
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town
Application Deadline: N/A