Website Southwest Airline
The purpose of the Apprentice Technical Writer is to assist senior writers in managing, revising, and producing consistent, standardized, clear, accurate, and compliant maintenance documents, publications, and revisions within deadlines; meeting the needs of Production, Engineering, Planning, Maintenance Programs, QC and Regulatory personnel.
- Must be able to meet any physical ability requirements listed on this description.
- Receives and/or submits and processes SWA document change requests for Maintenance Publications and documents, and Submits Boeing
- Publication Change Requests to correct Boeing errors
- Interfaces with various M&E departments for continuous analysis and improvements of the maintenance program, publications, documents and processes including Production AMTs and Inspectors, Fleet Leads, Engineering, Planning, Regulatory, Quality, Central Publications, and any other department necessary.
- Assists Technical Writers and Technical Publications Specialists in maintaining historical record of revisions, network library, and published documents, and assists with required audits, publishes, distribution, and record-keeping.
- Creates, writes, revises, edits and publishes maintenance publications, documents, and work instructions ensuring accuracy to regulatory, and maintenance program requirements, and to technical sources or SWA approved changes.
- Any other publications or project duties as assigned by senior writers, Supervisor or Manager.
- May perform other job duties as directed by Employee’s Leaders.
- Processes Boeing and other OEM revisions to Aircraft Maintenance Manuals, Illustrated Parts Catalogs, Fault Isolation manuals, Wiring
- Diagram manuals, illustrations, and other publications and documents – reconciling the differences with SWA engineered changes and managing the approvals necessary for publication.
Qualification & Experience:
- 1 Year technical writing experience or coursework required.
- Experience in Access a plus
- Must be able to access all sections of company aircraft, climb ladders/stands
- Must have excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks and projects under tight deadlines
- Must have proficiency in MS Word and Excel
- Experience with Adobe FrameMaker, Arbortext or other SGML or XML based authoring experience a plus
- Must be able to type 50 wpm and have excellent computer skills, with an ability to learn new programs quickly
- 5 Years in lieu of degree and A&P, 5 years combined aircraft maintenance and/or writing experience required
- Must have excellent writing and editing skills
- Must be able to read and understand aircraft maintenance manuals, work instructions, policy and regulatory publications
- Must have excellent research, writing, and verbal communication and presentation skills
- 3 Years maintenance experience on commercial jet aircraft preferred.
- Corel Draw, ISO Draw or other illustration editing experience a plus
- Must be able to use personal computer and desktop publishing equipment for extended periods of time
Company: Southwest Airline
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: El Paso, Texas, US
Application Deadline: N/A