Website Sacramento Municipal Utility District
SMUD’s People Services and Strategies Department seeks an experienced Employee & Labor Relations Analyst to provide professional and analytical support as well as subject matter expertise on employee and labor relations matters. The Employee & Labor Relations Analyst is a journey-level, individual contributor role that performs a wide variety of duties related to employee and labor relations, such as providing professional guidance, advice, and training on employee and labor relations matters at all levels of the organization; assisting supervisors with employee coaching, performance management, and performance improvement; conducting and supporting fact-finding investigations of potential policy violations and EEO complaints; writing defensible investigatory reports; recommending discipline and drafting disciplinary documents; addressing sensitive employee matters; and, serving in a support role for labor relations with one or more collective bargaining units, including day-to-day contract management, grievance response and resolution, and labor negotiations.
To perform professional analytical support and consulting services to business units in the development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of employee and labor relations programs to ensure that assigned HR program results support SMUD’s strategic objectives and comply with applicable SMUD, state and federal human resources laws, rules, regulations and MOU requirements.
This classification is comprised of two levels: Level “E” is the entry-level where incumbents are provided formal training and/or certification for progression to the journey-level of the classification. The incumbent is promoted/progressed to the journey level “J” upon successful completion of all training and/or certification requirements for the classification. Incumbents hired at the entry-level are required to successfully progress to the journey-level within 18 to 60 months, depending on the length of the training and/or certification program. If an employee is unsuccessful with progressing to the journey level they will return to last class held or separate from SMUD.
- Assists in the planning, development, implementation and communication of employee and labor relations policies, programs and procedures by researching, reviewing and analyzing the impact on current SMUD programs of new fair labor, wage, discrimination and related federal and state laws, codes and regulations; recommending modifications to SMUD programs to ensure compliance; developing and communicating to management and employees revised policies and procedures; and monitoring the effectiveness of programs. To ensure that SMUD’s employee and labor relations programs meet its strategic human resources objectives and are in compliance with all applicable laws and guidelines.
- Supports activities related to SMUD’s negotiated agreements by analyzing pay and other data; reviewing the impact on SMUD operations and work activities of proposed agreements on hours, wages, benefits and working conditions; reviewing the proposed language in negotiated agreements; representing SMUD at grievance, disciplinary and other related hearings; and providing other assistance as requested. To provide for a cohesive, constructive and positive employee and labor relations environment.
- Provides advice and assistance to management and employees by interpreting MOUs and personnel policies; communicating changes in agreements, grievance procedures, disciplinary actions and other personnel practices; investigating and recommending solutions to employee relations issues. To ensure a positive employer-employee relations framework characterized by equitable and consistent actions in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and SMUD policies.
- Develops and presents training programs to management and employees on employee and labor relations programs, policies and procedures, including grievance procedures, disciplinary procedures, position reclassifications, among others by soliciting input from management on relevant issues; designing training modules for the respective audiences; and delivering the information. To ensure adequate understanding of and adherence to SMUD programs, policies and procedures.
- Assists in planning, reviewing and conducting work activities and researching required project information associated with department internal/external projects in accordance with established task objectives and schedule as outlined in the project plan/contract. To support the overall achievement and completion of department projects.
- BA/BS degree from an accredited college or university majoring in Public or Business Administration, Industrial Psychology, Industrial Relations, Human Resources Management or related field or equivalent experience.
- Three (3)+ years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in labor and employee relations in the public sector with some experience in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and Problem Resolution Counseling.
- Knowledge Of: Safety policies, practices and procedures; standard operating procedures for modern office equipment including a computer and applicable soft- ware; English grammar, punctuation and vocabulary standards; Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations governing employment and labor relations; principles of statistics and cost analysis; methods and techniques for training staff; policies and procedures related to supervisory practices and employee rights; modern office practices and procedures; District policies, procedures, applicable MOUs and other special agreements related to human resources; techniques for exercising leadership and authority; principals, practices, methods and techniques related to labor relations activities in the public sector; techniques of interest based bargaining; principals and practices of personnel administration; Federal and State laws and regulations related to supervisory practices and employee rights; methods and techniques for report preparation and writing; techniques and practices for negotiating; techniques and strategies for public speaking; techniques and practices for cost benefit analyses; techniques and practices for problem research and resolution; techniques and practices related to negotiations and compromise; concepts and methods of project development and administration.
- Skill To: Utilize a personal computer and/or computer terminal, systems and software relevant to the job; communicate effectively orally and in writing internally/externally; establish and maintain effective working relationships internally/externally; schedule and prioritize own work assignments to meet expected timeframes; serve as reference person for other employees; interact with others to influence, motivate and challenge; apply applicable laws, codes and regulations; express ideas/facts clearly and concisely to individual or groups, taking into account the audience and nature of information; serve as a support person and consultant to management; interpret SMUD policies, procedures, applicable MOUs and/or other special agreements; develop and implement new and revised policies and procedures to provide for the effective operation of the area of responsibility; oversee disciplinary actions and resolution of employee grievances; explain complex and/or controversial policies, regulations, procedures and/or activities internally/externally; reconcile significant and/or controversial differences to bring interested parties to consensus; write new and revised policies and procedures; analyze complex issues and develop/implement resolution alternatives; analyze situations, documents and data for conformance to established policy and procedures; gather data from appropriate sources and identify relevant factors; generate a number of viable alternatives to problems; prepare a business case to weigh the relative costs and benefits of a potential action; develop and administer employee relations programs; conduct extensive research; perform interviews; maintain confidentiality of sensitive information; analysis codes, laws and regulations and determine relevant impact.
- Public Sector Experience
- Certification in Labor Relations and EEO Investigations
- Experience in written Labor Relations work, including disciplinary documents, reports, responding to grievances or appeals
- Experience conducting EEO investigations – includes report writing
- Experience providing consultation to management on performance management and disciplinary process
Company: Sacramento Municipal Utility District
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Rancho Cordova, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A