The Curriculum and Assessment Lead drives student achievement in the SPARK Schools network by ensuring that our curriculum is engaging and rigorous and that our assessment accurately measures student progress toward each individual’s achievement goals. The Curriculum and Assessment Lead’s leadership in the SPARK Schools network is integral to the SPARK Schools mission to create systemic change in South African education.
- Senior Phase (Grades 7-9): Mathematics, Economic and Management Sciences, Natural Sciences, Technology
- Further Education and Training Phase (Grades 10-12): Mathematics and Math Literacy, Life Science, Physical Science, Geography, Economics
Monitors, refines, and implements the curriculum and assessment model at SPARK Schools.
- Designs and/or supplements a rigorous network-wide curriculum that complies with, aligns to, and extends the South African national curriculum, including comprehensive assessments for all grades and all subjects.
- Plans and supports pre-service and in-service professional development for school leaders and educators on curriculum, culture, and community-building.
- Helps instructional coaches and educators to develop instructional strategies and intervention programs that elevate achievement among struggling students.
- Integrates curricular support with strategies for scholar social-emotional development.
- Aligns the academic curriculum with government standards, SPARK’s best practice, and international expectations and benchmarks.
- Documents and communicates scope and sequence of curriculum for each grade level and subject, in conjunction with internal assessments.
- Demonstrates a relentless commitment to student achievement.
- Facilitates a network-wide assessment and data analysis cycle that allows school leaders to analyse student performance and identify areas for school-wide targeted instruction.
- Seeks opportunities to integrate online data with classroom assessment data to create a richer understanding of student progress through blended learning.
- Generates and manages internal assessment schedules, logistics, and reporting.
- Monitors grade-level and phase-specific progress against scope and sequence maps and assessments, using data analysis.
- Clearly communicates network-wide and school data to school leaders, in order to ensure accurate interpretation of student progress.
- Evaluates, approves, and coordinates the purchase of curricular materials, such as textbooks and manipulatives.
- Researches new and innovative curriculum practices.
- Interprets and ensures compliance of academic standards as per current South African legislative requirements.
- Participates, where relevant, in staff recruitment.
- Meets professional obligations through efficient work habits, such as meeting deadlines, honouring schedules, coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrating respect for others.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least three years of experience formally coaching teachers.
- Experience in facilitating professional development and adult training.
- Experience in STEM subject curriculum development and assessment.
- Experience and expertise in leading school-level data inquiry and facilitating professional cycles of inquiry to improve instructional practice.
- Awareness of innovative practices in R-12 education, particularly around the role of technology in education reform.
- Grit: Persistence through challenges.
- Excellence: A track record of high expectations personally and professionally.
- Mission and Vision Alignment: Understanding of and passion for the SPARK Schools mission to provide excellent education at an affordable cost.
- Self Reflection: Finding the capacity to bring your best self to challenges and opportunities.
- Service, Persistence, Achievement, Responsibility, Kindness
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Johannesburg
Application Deadline: N/A